Looking at Buildings

Home | Types | Styles | Construction | Cities | Timeline | Glossary | Reference | Using the Site | About LAB

This is document 'Glossary', within the 'Glossary' section of the website. 
See a list of all the pages in this section, or look at the sitemap.


Usually describes the vaulted room or rooms beneath the main room or rooms of a medieval house. Compare crypt.
Undershot water wheel
One turned by the momentum of the water passing beneath. Compare breastshot, overshot and pitchback.
Of a hill-fort: defended by one concentric bank and ditch.
Upper cruck
A type of timber construction in which curving paired members (blades) are supported on a tie-beam and rise to the apex.