Built 1919-20 as the Spring Shop for Samuel Osborn & Co’s Rutland Works. Located on the bank of the River Don, it is the only known design by Hale for industrial premises. It is likely that he obtained the commission through knowing the Osborn family who were fellow Wesleyans. The Heart and Hand seen in the decorative plaques were used as trademarks by Osborns. Although the building is simple in design, the use of large segmental headed windows in bays defined by recessed panels and by a slight lowering of the line of the parapetGlossary Term takes it beyond the merely utilitarian and gives it a distinct character. It has been restored and converted to offices when it was given its present name.
Wall for protection at any sudden drop, e.g. on a bridge, or at the wall-head of a castle where it protects the parapet walk or wall-walk. Also used to conceal a roof.