The VICTORIA QUARTER, between Briggate and Vicar Lane was a spectacular redevelopment of the meat market slum area in 1898-1904 by Frank Matcham, for the Leeds Estates Company. He designed a unified group of three blocks, each of three storeys and an atticGlossary Term, the flamboyantGlossary Term warm pink and buff terracottaGlossary Term facades elaborately decoratedGlossary Term in a free Jacobean/BaroqueGlossary Term style with swags, strapworkGlossary Term and scrolls, Dutch gables, domes and corner turrets."
The first block contains the T-plan COUNTY ARCADEGlossary Term, 120m long with an opening off its north side, originally containing the County Restaurant.
The interior symbolised the city's wealth and confidence overall and glows with exuberant decoration in marble, mosaic and Burmantofts faienceGlossary Term. Mahogany shop fronts with curved glass display cases are separated by columns and pilasters of Sienna marble which carry balustraded balconies and stone ball finials.
The painted cast-iron roof has three glazed domes with richly-coloured and gilded mosaics in the pendentives. At the ends there are female heads labelled 'Liberty', 'Commerce', 'Justice', and the rest, while in the central dome full figures represent Leeds industries. The arcadeGlossary Term was successfully restored by Derek Latham and Co. 1988-90 who rescued the arcadeGlossary Term and streets from a decline which had left only six of the original fifty shop fronts intact.
At the same time of the restoration of the County ArcadeGlossary Term, QUEEN VICTORIA STREET was enclosed as a new arcadeGlossary Term beneath a splendid stained glass roof (by Brian Clarke,1990), carried on tall slim columns above eavesGlossary Term level, with a bright abstract pattern like woven fabric - blue with yellow, red and green.
The block south of Queen Victoria Street contained the CROSS ARCADEGlossary Term. The shops on either side of its entrance were occupied by the first 'Penny Bazaar' operated by Marks & Spencer Ltd, 1904.
Inside the arcadeGlossary Term is the former entrance to the EMPIRE PALACE THEATRE, one of a chain developed by the impresarios Moss and Stoll and mostly designed for them by Matcham. It was replaced by a dismal arcadeGlossary Term in 1961.
The space then successfully converted in 1997 by Brooker Flynn Architects with Hosker Moore & Kent for Harvey Nichols. They inserted the full-height glazed curtain wallGlossary Term and exposed steel structure on the Briggate frontage, but sensitively framed by moulded brick pilasters to match the original building.
The glorious Matcham style continues in the third and final part of the scheme, the block along KING EDWARD STREET. This served several purposes.
KING EDWARD HOUSE was offices.
On the ground floor were the COUNTY CAFE and KING EDWARD RESTAURANT on the corner with Fish Street. The latter can be identified by gold mosaic wall plaques high up, representing fish, game and wine.
Series of arches supported by piers or columns (compare colonnade). Blind arcade or arcading: the same applied to the wall surface. Wall arcade: in medieval churches, a blind arcade forming a dado below windows. Also a covered shopping street.
Small top storey within a roof. Also the storey above the main entablature of a classical fa
The term, originally derogatory, for a style at its peak in 17th- and early 18th-century Europe, which developed the classical architecture of the Renaissance towards greater extravagance and drama. Its innovations included greater freedom from the conventions of the orders, much interplay of concave and convex forms, and a preference for the single visual sweep. The revival of the style in early 20th-century Britain, often termed Edwardian Baroque or Neo-Baroque, drew more on English prototypes than on the more expansive variants of the Continent.
A non-load-bearing external wall applied to a framed structure, in architecture of the 20th century onwards. Also a connecting wall between the towers of a castle.
A distinctive phase of English Gothic which developed at the end of the 13th century and continued into the later 14th; sometimes abbreviated to Dec. Named from its elaborate window tracery, which abandoned the simple circular forms of Geometric in favour of more varied patterns based on segments of circles. Dec tracery makes much use of ogee or reversed curves, which were combined in the 14th century to produce reticulated and flowing tracery composed of trefoils, quatrefoils and dagger shapes. Similar inventiveness is seen in the patterns produced by the lierne and tierceron vaults of the period, in the three-dimensional handling of wall surfaces broken up by canopy work and sculpture and in imaginative spatial planning making use of diagonal axes.
Overhanging edge of a roof; hence eaves cornice in this position.
(French): Moulded and fired glazed terracotta (clay ornament or cladding), when coloured or left white.
The latest phase of French Gothic architecture, with flowing tracery.
The style of early 17th-century England, called after James I (reigned 1603-25), but common into the middle decades. Not always distinguishable from the preceding Elizabethan manner, with which it shares a fondness for densely applied classical ornament and symmetrical gabled faÃ§ades.
Late 16th and early 17th-century decoration, like interlaced leather straps.
Moulded and fired clay ornament or cladding; when glazed and coloured or left white often called faience.
Last updated: Monday, 26th January 2009