Looking at Buildings

, printed from the Looking at Buildings website on Friday 12th August 2022


volutesGlossary Term [1]). Otherwise they run back from the main outer edge, like a roll of bedding curled up at each end. The shafts can be fluted or plain. On the corniceGlossary Term [2], there is usually a row of little blocks called dentils set just below the main overhang. The friezeGlossary Term [3] can be plain or ornamented; sometimes it bulges outwards (called a pulvinatedGlossary Term [4] friezeGlossary Term [5]).

swagGlossary Term [6] or a festoonGlossary Term [7]) stretching between the volutesGlossary Term [8].

Last updated: Monday, 26th January 2009