By J.E. Gregan, 1848
(Italian, palace): used for any compact and ornate building like a large Italian town house, usually classical in style.
(lit. scraped again): Reuse of a surface. Of a brass: where a metal plate has been reused by turning over and engraving on the back. Of a wall painting: where one overlaps and partly obscures an earlier one.
Derived from the buildings and publications of the Italian classical architect Andrea Palladio (1508-80). His manner was introduced to Britain by Inigo Jones in the early 17th century, and was revived by Lord Burlington and others in the 18th century, in both cases as a counter to the less strict or pure styles of the day. Its influence continued well into the 19th century.
Palladian window
In classical architecture, a window with an arched central light flanked by two lower straight-headed ones; the motif is also used for other openings. Also called Serlian window, Serlian motif, Serliana, and Venetian window.
Classical ornament like a symmetrical palm shoot.
Panel frame
(Scots): Moulded stone frame round an armorial panel, often placed over the entrance to a tower house.
Wooden lining to interior walls, made up of vertical members (muntins) and horizontals (rails) framing panels; also called wainscot. Raised and fielded: with the central area of the panel (field) raised up. Also used for stonework treated with sunk or raised panels.
Panel tracery
Bar tracery with even upright divisions made by a horizontal transom or transoms.
Roof tile of curved S-shaped section.
In a medieval house or college, a room off the screens passage, used for storing provisions; compare buttery.