Old Medical School

The school was opened in October 1894 for 80 students. It succeeded Leeds' first medical school which was founded in 1831 and occupied a house in East Parade by 1834. The first purpose-built premises for the school were designed by George Corson in Park Street in 1865. The present building by W.H. Thorp in a TudorGlossary Term GothicGlossary Term style, of three storeys and attics, and built of local brick with Mansfield stone dressingsGlossary Term. All carving is by J.W.Appleyard. It stands closeGlossary Term to the Leeds General Infirmary, on an awkward island site. Its form is a U-plan, open on the W side with the main entrance towards the Infirmary crowned with a battlemented tower surmounted by a wooden domed lanternGlossary Term. Refurbished 1984-5 by John Brunton Partnership, its interior is well preserved: the entrance hall is paved in lovely glowing pink mosaic with bands of flowers; the walls lined with mellow green tiles moulded into naturalistic patterns in the responds of arches which open into the separate departments. A wide staircase with cast ironGlossary Term balustrade rises opposite. The W side of the School is closed by John C. Proctor's plain brick wing of 1930.


Alternative Terms-
Replaced with-
Short Description-
Long Description-
Term Language-