St Mary le Port

Click to enlarge
Bristol, St Mary-le-Port

ST MARY LE PORT, Castle Park. Blitzed ruin.

  • Opening: always open.
  • Access: Level access from Wine Street.
  • Map

This and St. Peter's are evidence of the severe blitz raids that obliterated this area in 1940-41. Previously this was a densely packed area of medieval and later buildings and the heart of Bristol's shopping centre, which was redeveloped at Broadmead after the war. St Mary's is possibly of pre-Conquest foundation - Bristol itself was probably established as a trading settlement around the late C10. The church was much rebuilt and enlarged between the late C11 and the C16. All that remains now is the C15 Perp. tower, with a good Bristol spirelet topping the stair turret. The rest is now low rubbleGlossary Term walls. The 5 bayGlossary Term naveGlossary Term, N aisleGlossary Term and narrow chancelGlossary Term can be seen in outline. Stone slabs in the grass mark the naveGlossary Term arcadeGlossary Term. Still visible, a small priests' door in the S chancelGlossary Term wall, roodGlossary Term stairs and foundations of a N porch. In the 1930s John Betjeman described the liturgy at St. Mary-le-Port as "black-gown Calvinist".


Alternative Terms-
Replaced with-
Short Description-
Long Description-
Term Language-